Golf in the City, Excel, London, 2007
- In April 2007 the Floating Par-3 Championship was launched as ‘test event’ at London Golf Show, ExCel.
- The event was covered by ITV, Sky, BBC, Setanta
- The Tournament was attended by likes of Citibank, Barclays, UBS, Clifford Chance, Credit Suisse.
- Proved successful – fun, sold-out, media friendly.
- Based on this success, Colin Montgomerie became a stakeholder in the business and Golf in the City was invited to launch in Europe’s largest financial capital – Canary Wharf, London.
Canary Wharf, London, 2008
- In September 2008 the Floating Par-3 Championship launched in the heart of London.
- Colin Montgomerie, Nick Dougherty and Bernard Gallagher played a televised tournament in front of thousands of people.
- An amateur tournament followed giving VIP guests the chance to play the most spectacular Par-3’s in the world.
- In the Tented Village visitors tested and bought the latest golf equipment, took lessons and entered daily competitions.
To create and produce a strategy to target high urban concentrations of AB demographic groupings, launching with London, UK.
‘Golf in the City’ – a floating golf course in the heart of Canary Wharf. A unique platform to showcase products, interact with customers and develop prospects.
Colin Montgomerie, Nick Doherty and Bernard Gallagher played a televised tournament in front of thousands of people. An amateur tournament followed giving VIP guests the chance to play the most spectacular Par-3s in the World. In the Tented Village visitors tested and bought the latest equipment, took lessons and entered daily competitions.
- Event Title: Golf in the City – Floating Par-3 Championship
- Date: 8-12 September 2008
- Venue: Canary Wharf, London
- Spectators: 20,000 over 5 days
- TV Pro Event: Nick Dougherty, Colin Montgomerie, Bernard Gallacher
- Tournament: 160 Amateur players in Tournament / 5,000 Visitors to Tented Village Marquee
- Tented Village: Retail, Lessons, Club fittings, latest technology, Competitions, Prizes
- Media: 41 Press, 6 TV Crews, 10 one-on-one interviews with Professional Golfers, Media Tournament
Floating Par-3 Championship
- The course had three tees – two floating and one on land – and one large floating green, creating three Par-3 golf holes ranging from 60-120 yards in length. The tee on land was on the South Quay dockside walkway, the floating tees and green were in the South Dock. Players will access floating tees and green by floating walkways.
Floating Par-3 Championship
- The Floating Par 3 Championship was played over three floating Par-3 holes. The event ran for 5 days.
Golf Clubs & Balls
- Players did NOT need to bring clubs or balls. Clubs were provided on all tees. Wedges and putters were available on the green. Balls were available on each tee.
- 90% of tee-times were booked in advance. Some tee-times were held back for the public who contacted the front desk in the Tented Village, Montgomery Square
Format of Play - 4-Ball Team Event
- A round takes one hour. Groups report to the 1st tee 10 minutes before tee-off. Each player hits four tee shots and takes their best ball. After the last player hits, the group proceeds to the green via the floating walkways. If a player fails to make the green with all four shots, they take a drop in the designated zone incurring a shot Penalty.
- Players chip and put out as required, and move onto the next tee. The 2nd and 3rd holes are completed in the same way.
Scoring - 4-Ball Team Event
- Each Group’s scorecard is completed by a caddie. Scratch competition – no handicaps (playing 4 tee shots per hole creates the handicapping system).
- When the round is finished, the scorecard is taken to the registration office and signed. Scores are posted on Leaderboards operated by the V-Par live scoring system
4-Ball Package includes:
- Hospitality (*Breakfast/lunch/drinks)
- Welcome gift pack (incl. Waterproofs)
- Access to VIP area
- Full briefing on rules & regulations
- Fully equipped practice facilities
- Group ‘Short Course’ lesson
- Beat The Pro competition: Longest Drive & Nearest The Pin (in simulators)
- Discount Card for Retail area
Floating Par-3 Championship:
- Golf Course exclusivity (1hr) on Floating Par-3 golf course (4 tee shots / hole)
- Entry into Floating Par-3 Championship (i) 4-ball competition (ii) individual
- Nearest-The-Pin competitions (each hole)
- Hole-in-One competition (hole 3)
- All Clubs / balls included
- Scorer/Caddy for each group
- Scores inputted onto scoreboard
- Departure Gifts
- Photograph of Round
- Discount card for Tented Village
- Access to VIP area & Nokia Clubhouse
Competitions & Prizes
Play in the Floating Par-3 Championship - Presented by Nokia
- A chance to win a 4-Ball in the Floating Par-3 Championships at Canary Wharf. 10 Tee times were made available by entry through the Nokia Prize Draw on Friday 12 Sept.
£100K Hole-in-One Prize - Presented by Sportingbet
- Secure a hole-in-one at the 120-yard 3rd hole and choice of £100,000 in cash or a brand new Aston Martin V8 Roadster.
Individual Winner - Presented by Tourism Argentine
- The best individual score throughout the week won a 6-night stay for 2 at the Alvear Palace Hotel, located in Buenos Aires, Argentine.
Daily Nearest-The-Pin on all three holes - Presented by Callaway
- Prizes were awarded to the person on each of the three holes whose ball landed closest to the pin from the tee.
Team Competition - Presented by Callaway
- The winning 4-Ball of the Floating Par-3 Championship received a full set of Callaway X20 irons.
- The 2nd and 3rd placed teams received an array of the latest Callaway kit.
- The Tented Village was in a large 45m x25m marquee located In Montgomery Square, a short walk from the golf course. Here you could buy clubs, clothing & accessories from the top golf brands, book lessons with PGA professionals and enter the Longest Drive & Nearest-The-Pin competitions. You could also practice your putting and long game and have bespoke club fittings.
- In partnership with N1Golf, Golf in the City, provided PGA Teaching Pros to give lessons throughout the week. With the latest technology there was the opportunity to have free lessons as well as tailored coaching.
- The public had the chance to speak to individual representatives from leading golf manufacturers, test equipment and organise bespoke club fittings with the likes of Callaway, TaylorMade, Yonex, Ping, Srixon, Cleveland, Wilson and Mizuno.
- In partnership with Nevada Bob’s, Golf in the City, Canary Wharf, provided a premium golfing retail experience. Access to the latest golf clubs, clothing and accessories as well as bespoke club fitting with the world’s top golf brands.
- As the Official Golf Supplier to the event, Callaway provided golf simulators, clubs, balls and prizes as well as being on hand to provide expert advise on club fitting and equipment.
Longest Drive Simulator
- Daily Prizes were awarded to the person who hit the longest drive in the simulator.
- Daily prizes were be awarded to the person who hit the ball nearest to the pin in the simulator.
- There was a chance to win £1,000 of premium golf equipment courtesy of Nevada Bob’s.
Results / Press Coverage
- 41 Press + 6 TV Crews including BBC, Sky Sports, ITV, Reuters, The Telegraph, The Times, The Independent, The Guardian, Golf Punk, Evening Standard
- Sky Sports Official media partner
- Press conference with Colin Montgomerie
- Q&A with Colin Montgomerie, Nick Dougherty + Bernard Gallacher
- 10 One-on-one interviews with Pro golfers
- Nick Dougherty v Bernard Gallacher Launch event
- Media – 41 Press + 6 TV crews
- Sky Sports Official media partner
- Spectators – 2,300
- Pro-Am – Nick + Bernard play Pro-Am with Nokia, Sportingbet,Tradition VIPs
- Unique marketing platform to Europe’s largest financial centre – 100k workers + 90 blue-chip companies
- TV Pro event attended by 5000 people, 41 press and 6 film crews
- 25 articles local/national media in 5 days
- USD600,000 media value (weighted)
- 160 Players entered Corporate Tournament over 4 days
- 20,000 viewers over 5 days
- 4,500 brochures distributed
- 10,000 leaflets distributed
- 3,000 database collected
- 20,000 web visitors
- 2,000 competition entries
If you would like to discuss how you can use Brand Events to connect with your key audience contact us here